Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Oaxaca linda


Oaxaca is astonishingly beautiful. The climate is tropical, and the flowers are very vibrant and the colors are amazing. We wake up every day to hear birds singing... it is like paradise.

We have seen and done more in the past few days than I have done in a long time. I am in awe of everything, it is so beautiful here!

Something striking to me is the resourcefulness of the people; yesterday we went to a Oaxacan cuisine demonstration and learned about the way people have used the land for all their needs. Everything that can be wrong with you, there is a plant to cure it. When a couple wants to get married, there is no stress about finances because their community and their village puts on the wedding for them; it is seen as a community event. It is relevant especially for me in light of all the "natural cuisine" I have been learning about in my own life.

Today we visited a beautiful house where garments and rugs are made using natural dyes. Our host spoke to us in the indigenous language and showed us how bright red colors are made from the cochinil, which is a bug. It turns red when you smash it.

I do miss my family and friends a lot and it feels like I am very, very far away. I am trying to buy a phone card so I can hear a familiar voice. But I feel like everyone has been praying for my continued health & safety and I can feel that they are all with me. There are so many adventures every day; I cannot imagine remembering them all. Hopefully I´ll get many chances to record them here!

No comments: