Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Climb Every Mountain...


Do you hear that Sound of Music song in your head when you read the title? Yesterday and today I climbed mountains for the first time. I climbed the ruins of Monte Albán, it is a giant mountain with impossibly weird stairs. I´ll be honest, it scared me. But I have made a new friend, Agustín, who encouraged me. A torrential rainstorm started as we climbed but I kept going. He held the umbrella for me and I climbed up, very, very slowly. It continued to rain. He kept the umbrella and I looked down; it was raining and I was completely soaked.

But the view was quite beautiful and of course, there was a nice sense of accomplishment. Eventually I climbed back down (again, super-slow) and it was raining and raining and raining. Agustín, who by now had made it down, went to hide under a rock; he does not like water but we were already drenched and everyone was celebrating and watching the storm. I told him, "The rocks have cried out for you!" (Is that a Bible verse?) And, laughing, I pulled him out of there to suffer in the rain with everyone else.

The picture there is of me climbing my second mountain in two days. Well... this was a small mountain, and there was no rain, and it was easier. I didn't need as much encouragement but I did have help. It was a lot of fun. Don't worry, Mom. No more climbing for a little while.

No comments: