Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hey, it's not the water

I got sick. I haven't been feeling too good for several days now, but I think it really started last night, when I was a little feverish and delirious and running around the hotel looking for cold water. Today, I could not join the group and I stayed home.

The tourist guidebooks would have you believe that all food and liquids in México are nearly poisonous. Whenever someone gets sick, it's easy to start theorizing about what went wrong. Sometimes, this is helpful ("Are you sure that was an edible flower?") but usually it is not. I have not had any of "the water" while here in México, I have not had any alcohol or any "strange" foods. I am just sick. I don't think it matters now.

I realized how nice everyone in our group was when I got repeated visits and phone calls from my new friends. If I needed anything, there was always someone there to help me. It is great! I am so happy to be here in México D.F. I can't wait to get better and rejoin everyone! But even though I am stuck in a hotel room all day I can still feel the energy of this city. There is no other place I'd rather be sick.

No comments: